Conker's Bad Fur Day
|Conker's Bad Fur Day|
|Publisher||Rare (North America)|
|Release date(s)||March 5, 2001 (NA)|
April 6, 2001 (EU)
May 25, 2001 (AUS)
|Modes||Single player, multiplayer|
Conker's Bad Fur Day is a 2001 Nintendo 64 game starring Conker. It was developed by Rare, and published by them in North America, and THQ published the game in Europe. The game is notable for the Conker series' shift from a family-friendly audience to a mature audience.
In 2005, a remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day was included as the single player mode for Conker: Live & Reloaded. In 2015, Conker's Bad Fur Day was ported to Rare Replay, as one of 30 included games. The port had some bugs, which were later patched, and a different control scheme.
The opening cut scene of the game shows Conker, seated on a large, golden throne drinking a glass of milk. Inside Conker's throne room are several bizarre creatures; it is only after introductions are done that Conker tells his story.
After a night of heavy drinking, Conker, extremely drunk, ends-up wandering away into the night in the direction opposite of his house. Passing out, Conker wakes up later in a strange land. During that day Conker just wants to find his way home but he keeps getting dragged into crazy situations by characters that he has never met before. Conker does tasks from returning a bee- hive to its rightful owner to fighting in a war between the Squirrel High Command and the Tediz, led by Professor Von Kriplespac.
The chapters of Conker's Bad Fur Day include:
- Hungover: Waking up in a large field, Conker finds himself dazed and confused and must deal with a scarecrow named Birdy and find his away past the Gargoyle.
- Windy: The overworld of the game, Windy is named after the giant windmill located in the center of the area.
- Barn Boys: Taking place in a large barn and the surrounding area, the boss of this area is a giant, missile-wielding robot named the Haybot.
- Bats Tower: Conker has to navigate his way through a gigantic safe filled with creatures such as living cogs and Fire Imps. The boss of this area is The Big Big Guy.
- Sloprano: A short chapter that mostly consists of Conker's battle against the Great Mighty Poo in Poo Mountain.
- Uga Buga: A chapter that takes place in a prehistoric world inhabited by the Uga caveman tribe and dinosaurs. The boss is a giant, egotistical caveman named Buga the Knut.
- Spooky: The level mostly consists of Conker, transformed into a bat by his vampire ancestor, Count Batula, capturing and feeding villagers to Count Batula. After Batula is killed, Conker must fight his way out of Count Batula's Mansion with a shotgun.
- It's War: Conker and his ally, Rodent, must fight their way out of a Tediz base. The boss of the chapter is the Little Girl and a large, robotic Tediz named The Experiment.
- Heist: The final chapter, Conker and Berri must commit a boss at the Feral Reserve Bank for the mob boss Don Weaso. The boss of this area is a giant, alien monster named Heinrich.
Nintendo, fearing that Conker's Bad Fur Day would cause controversy, had the game's box given an abnormally large warning. Also of note, Nintendo refuses to acknowledge Conker's Bad Fur Day, no mention of Conker's Bad Fur Day ever graced the pages Nintendo Power magazine until volume #230, where it was featured in that issue's "Playback" section. Conker's Bad Fur Day very briefly appeared but went completely absent from Nintendo's official website by its release, despite being found exclusively on a Nintendo console.
- Banjo and Kazooie make two small cameos in Conker Bad Fur Day; Banjo's severed and stuffed head can be seen mounted above a fireplace while Kazooie's head can be found being used as the handle of an umbrella.
- Conker's Bad Fur Day has a large amount of movie parodies in it; some of these parodies include A Clockwork Orange, the Alien series, The Matrix and Saving Private Ryan, among others.
- In interviews, Robin Beanland admitted he regretted a lot of things in the game, such as the Sunflower scene.
- Conker's Bad Fur Day - http://www.nintendo.com:80/n64/conkersbadfurday/ (Wayback Machine)